The University of Leeds (voted University of the Year in the Good University Guide 2017) founded The Association for Speakers of Chinese as a Second Language with its Department of East Asian Studies, promoting networking, job boards and educational opportunities for speakers of Chinese as a second language who would like to use their skills in professional settings.
However, it needed a website that could convey its aims, as well as a new portal which allowed users to log in, discuss the employment market with other members, browse job listings and take part in broad-ranging discussion forums.
We aimed to create a website for our client which was simple to use but complex underneath the hood, utilising our team of web developers and designers to make sure that the University of Leeds were fully satisfied.
We ensured that these features were the bedrock of the new site build:
- Dual language feature for all public website pages, displaying both English and Chinese versions next to each other without having to switch from one to the other
- Support for both simplified and traditional Chinese characters built in at CMS level to allow users to type translations directly
- Ability for members to populate a profile
- Member search facility, allowing users to find other members by location, interests, year of graduation or professional sector
- Integration with Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, allowing members to share social media profiles and contact details with others
- Messaging system for members to contact each other
- Job board, event listings and discussion forum, allowing member submissions (with admin moderation)
We created a site that is ideal for our client and user-friendly for their visitors.
We received a lot of positive feedback from our client, catering to a niche market with a functional and simple site.